Monday, October 4, 2010

Magic Monday: Rebecca Amongst the Clouds

This weeks Magic Monday is Rebecca of The Clothes Horse, an inspiring fashion blog I have been reading for quite some time now. She's inspired millions of writers and fashion enthusiasts to embark on their own creative journeys, and I was so honored to have her as my first blogger featured in my Magic Monday section.

Here's what she had to say...


"As a personal style blogger I take daily pictures for my blog to record my outfits. The longer I blogged the more invested I became in my “photo shoots” and I began dragging my tripod out and about with me on little adventures into the wild. Yet, despite the initial idea of recording what I’m wearing, my favorite shots are the ones where I’m in profile or my back is to the camera…something about the absence of a face in these photographs allows me to remove myself and my experience that day from the image. Instead of the actual experience and the person I really am, I look at the image and conjure up some impressive heroine and a day of epic proportions.

Even the images of other photographers who leave their subjects faceless and anonymous are often my favorite. An empty scene can lack depth or a sense of a story, but once a person enters the pictures, even unknown, a plot starts to emerge, but the essence of the story and main character is left to the viewer to decide. They’re the visual equivalent of reading a first-person story and feeling as though you become the lead character…but perhaps I spend too much time staring at anonymous photographs and reading fairy tales.

For better or for worse, this is one of my favorite pictures from the past year. I’m 23, but looking at it I can imagine being a small child and diving into clouds…not a murky lake."

3 comments:

  1. I love the clothes horse! She is fantastic with her backdrops and styling choices. Great feature! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite photos of Rebecca. It's so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Rebecca's blog and this was a really fun read! :)

    Leia

    ReplyDelete

Dear Janelle,
Blah. Blah. Blah.

With love,
Me.